September 29, 2021
● 50 Beame-scooters set to support tourism on Magnetic Island
● Beamrecently announced expansions into Port Douglas and Townsville’s James CookUniversity
Leading micromobility company Beam is continuing its rapid expansion in Far-North Queensland, with e-scooters set toroll onto Magnetic Island in early September.
It is Beam’s second tourism-focused expansion in Australia, with PortDouglas operations to commence at the end of August.
The new e-scooter fleet will be in addition to Beam’s existingTownsville fleet and new James Cook University operations.
The service will appeal to locals, tourists and families alike, with a minimum riding age of 16years, or 12-plus with a parent or guardian.
Beam’s service will feature affordable pay-as-you-go rates and every ride will be covered by Beam’s personal accident insurance.
To be attributed to Beam GeneralManager (ANZ) Tom Cooper:
“Townsville residents already know and love our e-scooters, and we’re looking forward to bringing them onto Magnetic Island to assist with tourist attraction and retention.
“Statistics show that tourists spend more when utilising e-scooters, and with the tough tourism conditions due to COVID-19 we are looking forward to supporting local tourism and stimulating economic activity.
“Micromobility is becoming an increasingly large part of life in theTownsville region, and we’re glad to see locals and visitors alike embracing the new technology.
“We look forward to introducing further programs and initiatives to Magnetic Island to drive visitor traffic to local business operators.”
Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said expanding the e-scooters to Magnetic Island provides residents and tourists another cost-effective and efficient method of transport.
“Thee-scooters have been very popular in Townsville and it’s good to see MagneticIsland will benefit from a new mode of transport that connects key tourism destinations with accommodation and hospitality venues,” Cr Hill said.
“Safety is a priority for Council, and it’s good to see Beam engaging with the community and talking to businesses to ensure they get the balance right.”
The Beam offering will also include:
● Beam Safe Academy: The Beam Safe Academy is Australia's first fully fledged safety program that incorporates an interactive safety quiz and a launch briefing guide for new users. Riders on Magnetic Island are encouraged to complete the in-app safety quiz to receive 5 minutes of free ride time.
● Beam Booster: A unique program designed to assist local shops, restaurants and cafes in the cities in which we operate as they strive to reinvigorate their businesses post COVID-19. Named ‘Operation Booster’, Beam’s proprietary partnership platform utilises a blend of GPS-technology, in-app notifications and partner incentives to help stimulate economic activity at the local community level.
● Virtual docking: Beam will utilise technology and GPS to direct riders to appropriate parking spots through a combination of guidance, incentives, and disincentives.