New to Beam ? Follow these 7 steps and you'll be on your way in less than a minute!
How to get started...
1. Download the 'Beam Escooter' app from the Apple App Store / Play Store and verify your mobile phone number.
2. Register your payment method. And ensure your Bluetooth is turned on.
3. Select "ride" and scan the QR code on the scooter handlebar to unlock the scooter, or select the '<>' icon in the app and enter the 5 digit code.
4. Push off to get it moving, then press the "GO" button to start riding. If you want to slow down, pull firmly on the brake lever on the handlebar. Please do NOT try and slow down by pushing down on the rear mudguard of the scooters with your foot - that will damage the scooter and could cause you to lose control.
5. Refer to the "Operating Zone" marked on the map in the app, to see where you can ride. Please do not ride a scooter outside of this marked area. Note that there are also zones marked in yellow which are "Slow Zones", where the top speed of the scooter will automatically be reduced for safety reasons. There are also zones coloured red within the operating zone, that are either "No Go Zones" or "No Parking Zones". Please avoid these zones. The scooter will automatically end if you enter a "No Go Zone", and you will be unable to end a trip in a "No Parking Zone".
6. Park the scooter safely where it will not interfere with driving, traffic, pedestrian walkways and fire hydrants.
7. To end your ride click on the end ride button at the bottom of your screen. If you park a Beam scooter in the designated parking areas marked with 'P' and '$' on the map, a reward of $1.00 in credits will be returned to your Beam account. The credits paid will be available the next time you ride.
The Beam Saturn is designed to be as safe as possible, but there are some important rules to follow to ensure you stay safe when riding:
1. Do not ride Beam after drinking.
2. Do not ride on wet surfaces.
3. Only one person at a time can ride a Beam scooter.
4. Please obey the traffic laws.
In the event of an emergency and you require urgent medical attention, please call emergency services immediately on '000' before contacting us. Once you are in a safe place, please contact our Customer Service Team on 3186 1039 who will provide further support and guidance.
Beam provides personal accident insurance for all registered riders, provided the rider adheres to the relevant legislation governing e-scooters (e.g. minimum age requirement). If you have been in an accident, please contact Customer Support as soon as possible
The minimum age required to ride an e-scooter is 16 years old. Children who are 12+ may ride if accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
After downloading the Beam E-Scooter app from the App Store/Play Store, you can proceed with the registration process in the following order: mobile phone authentication, personal information registration, and privacy agreement.
For general enquiries, you can contact our support team through the Help button on the main menu.
For enquiries regarding specific trips please do the following.
1. Enter "Trip History" in the main app menu.
2. Select the ride you have a dispute or question regarding.
3. Click on "Contact Support" in the bottom right hand of that ride screen.
You may also contact support by clicking on the question mark icon shown on the right hand of the map screen.
If you need to speak to us, please call 3186 1039.
Beam operates every day of the week, 24 hours a day.
Beam services are available in the city centre and James Cook University's Townsville campus. Refer to the white area on the Beam app for the exact locations of parking spots and the operating zone. Please note that you will be unable to start a ride outside of our operating zone.
Yes, the Group Rides feature allows you to rent up to five additional vehicles using one account. Simply tap the "Group Ride" button on the map page to get started.
Two riders on the same scooter is definitely a bad idea. Beams are made for one. One of the great benefits of riding a Beam is that you are automatically covered for personal accident insurance with every ride, but that insurance will be void if more than one person rides the same scooter at the same time. So please don't.
The advisable maximum weight a Beam scooter can hold is 100kgs.
It's great that you love Beam that much, but Beam e-scooters are made for sharing and they get lonely otherwise. So please don't keep a Beam at your house as it prevents other riders from having access to it. Beam also reserves the right to retrieve our scooter if it is kept by a user for private use, and involve the authorities if necessary.
We don't like our scooters being in anyone's way so please let us know if you see one causing an obstruction. Contact our support team through the "Help" button on the main menu of the app, or by clicking on the question mark icon shown on the right hand of the map screen.
There is a $1.00 unlock fee at the start of your ride, and then it costs $0.45 for every minute that you ride.
Within Townsville's James Cook University, there is a $1.00 unlock fee at the start of your ride, and then it costs $0.20 for every minute that you ride.
Currently supported payment methods are debit/credit cards and, when available, promotional Beam credit packs which you may purchase with your debit/credit card through the Beam app (in the section labelled "Payment & Credit" on main menu of app).
Other payment issues that arise can be caused by an outdated app version. To avoid these issues always make sure to update your Beam app as soon as a new update is available.
You can register and update your payment method on the 'Payment & Credit' tab in the app menu. The payment methods we currently support include most debit/credit cards.
Your Beam credits can be found in the 'Payment & Credit' tab of the app's main menu.
If you have an outstanding balance, you will be restricted from using the scooter. Please update your payment method by following these steps:
1. Select 'Billing' from the menu on the top left.
2. Add a "payment method."
3. Relaunch the app.
4. The scooter can be used once the payment method and outstanding balance payment are completed.
1. Enter "Trip History" in the main app menu.
2. Select the ride you need a receipt for.
3. Click on "Contact Support" in the bottom right hand of that ride screen.
4. Write a short message explaining that you need a receipt for that trip.
We'll send you the receipt as soon as we can. You may also contact support by clicking on the question mark icon shown on the right hand of the map screen.
Within the Townsville CBD:
You can end your trip and park anywhere in the Operating Zone marked on the map in the app, as long as...
1) you park your vehicle safely in an area where other riders can find and use it, and in a position that does not obstruct traffic, obstruct pedestrians or get in the way of fire hydrants.
2) you do not attempt to park at zones coloured red within the operating zone that are marked as "No Parking Zones". You will be unable to end a trip in a "No Parking Zone".
If you park a Beam in the designated Beam parking areas marked with 'P' and '$' on the map in the app, a reward of $0.50 in credits will be returned to your Beam account. The credits paid will be available the next time you ride.
Within James Cook University:
You can only end your trip and park within the designated Parking Zones marked on the map in the app. You will be unable to end a trip outside the Parking Zones.
If you'd like to report an end trip issue, please follow these steps to submit your question:
1. Enter the menu on the top left of the app.
2. Select the 'Trip History' menu and select the ride you had an issue with.
3. Tap 'Contact Support' on the bottom right hand side of the screen, and write a message in the box, describing the problem you had. We will reply as soon as we can.
If you notice a broken scooter before you start a ride, or have mechanical issues with a scooter during your ride, please report the malfunction to us by doing the following...
1. Enter the main menu (by clicking on the three lines in the top left corner of the app).
2. Select "Trip History" and find the trip where the scooter malfunctioned. Click on the trip.
3. Tap on the "Contact Support" on the bottom right hand of that trip screen to explain the issue and request a refund. Please do provide as much detail as possible, so we can ensure we make it right for you.
Yes, you can pause during a ride by clicking on the padlock icon (to be found on the bottom right hand corner of the map screen) after your ride has started. Please note that although the scooter is locked for this period of pause, you will still be charged the standard per-minute fee.
If you need to see a doctor due to injuries sustained as a result of an accident please do get the required treatment first and ensure you are safe and cared for before submitting a report to Beam. After you have received treatment. please submit a message to us with details about the incident through the "Help" section that you can find in the main menu of the app.
Please note that there are restricted areas where Beam doesn't operate for safety reasons. These are marked as 'No Riding Zone' on the map in the Beam app. Riding in these areas will cause your scooter to slow down and lock. If you happen to enter these areas accidentally, be sure to click on the unlock icon and ride out of the area.
You may find a detailed list of the terms and conditions of using Beam scooters at the link here:
Please contact our customer support team in order to have your Beam account deleted.
You may do so by:
1. Selecting the question mark on the Beam map
2. Selecting the "Help" tab in the main menu of the app
Both options will open a message box that you can contact us through. In that message, tell us the phone number and email you registered with, to make the process as straightforward as possible.
Yes, you can update your email address by navigating to the app menu, select the white 'cog' icon and tap your name. From here, overwrite your current registered email address and tap "Save".
The Group Rides feature allows you to ride with friends and family using a single account. To start a Group Ride:
1. Tap the "Group Ride" button on the map page.
2. You will be prompted to add the name and email address of your first guest. You can add up to four additional guests by tapping the "Add guest rider" button.
3. Once you have finished adding guests, tap the "Unlock" button beside each name and scan the QR code on each vehicle to unlock both the vehicle and the helmet for your guest(s).
4. When complete, tap "Continue to Trip" to start the Group Ride.
5. To end the Group Ride, click on the "End Trip for All" button at the bottom of your screen. Be sure that all vehicles are parked safely where they will not interfere with driving, traffic, pedestrian walkways and fire hydrants. All ride fees, parking fees and credits will be summed up and applied to you as the main account holder.
You are able to add five guests as part of a single Group Ride in addition to yourself as the main account holder.
Please download the latest version of the Beam app via your app store to enable Group Rides.
Yes, every Beam vehicle comes with its own helmet.
You must be a current student from a recognised tertiary educational institution.
Simply sign up to Beam with your University email, then choose the Pass you would like to purchase.
To request to have your tertiary educational institution enrolled for discount Student Passes, please contact our Support Team directly via the Help button on the main menu.
Passes are auto-renewing. If you would like to cancel your Pass, select "See Details" within "Universal Pass" in the main menu. From here, select "Cancel my Subscription".
If you would like to request a refund for a Pass, please contact our Support Team via the Help option in the main menu.
If you would like to cancel your Pass, select "See Details" within the "Universal Pass" option in the main menu. From here, select "Cancel my Subscription".
Yes, you can use your Pass for a Group Ride, however only the host of the trip will receive the Pass benefits. Any additional riders will be charged at the regular price.
Your daily usage is calculated from when you start your trip, to when your trip ends. Please note that the usage is calculated based on the day that you end your trip, not the day you start your trip.
A Pass begins as soon as you have purchased it, and expires at the same time of purchase on your Pass end date.
Yes, it will be counted as the first day of your Pass. We recommend that you purchase your Pass at the beginning of the day to maximise the value.
Unfortunately, you are not able to purchase a Pass with Beam credits. Passes can be purchased with debit and credit cards.
Currently you are only able to use your Pass in the city in which you purchased it.
You will only be able to view your Pass where the Pass is valid. For example, if you have exhausted your daily usage allowance, the Pass will not be visible again until it refreshes the next day. Or if you are viewing the Beam app in a different city to where you purchased your Pass.
As we are always releasing new and exciting promotions to our customers, this will sometimes mean you might see a different offer to others around you.